Saturday, August 31, 2013

More Biodynamic wineries in Alsace

I visited an additional two family operated biodynamic wineries other than Domaine Weinbach: Albert Mann and Barmes Beucher both located in Wettolsheim. I had wonderful and and welcoming hosts. Often I would think that my visits would last 90 minutes and I would try 6 or 8 wines.....not the case! Time flies by when your having fun and my gracious hosts encourage me to try any and all of the wines in their large portfolios.

Wineries in Alsace, including these two own vineyards all over the region. For example, Barmes Beucher owns 56 hectares in 9 villages are broken into 56 different parcels. This is why you will see names like 'Rosenberg' or 'Hengst' or 'Pfersigberg' on labels. Its a lot to stay up on, but it give the wine a place of identity and personality and will reflect the eclectic soils of the region. (eg. marl with sandstone and limestone, or sand and clay)

Barmes Beucher is going through a label change, so be prepared to see something new in the future. They surround their winery and themselves with positive people, therefore giving positive energy to the wines. When I left, my spirits were high after experiencing that energy.

Here are some bottle shots and photos of the wineries.










No comments:

Post a Comment